[pct-l] anyone have bear or mountain lion stories?

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 25 19:51:44 CST 2009

One early morning around dawn I saw a Young mountain lion run across the road in front of my car as I was driving into Big Bear, CA for a day hike.

Another time, it was in December, I was between Yellow Jacket Spring and Walker Pass when I came upon a large Black Bear digging for grubs.  Having attended the Ranger talk at the Kick-off, I let out a loud growl to announce myself.  That is something a pray animal never does.  When the bear looked up, I let out another loud growl and waived by trekking poles above my head so he could find me.  Bears have relatively poor vision.

Once I was sure he saw me, I boldly walked toward him along the trail, which I could see would swing around him.  The bear seemed a bit confused by my bold approach.  At my closest point to him, maybe 30 feet, I took his picture, then proceeded on.  I did not choose to linger, nor did I leave abruptly.  I wanted the bear to regard me as an equal or at least formidable and more trouble than it would be worth to brother with.

This worked as he was a wild bear and unused to people.  Things might have been different had I been in or near Yemenite Valley where the bears associate people with having food.

Shepherd