[pct-l] What is a Thru Hike, synopsis

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 25 21:23:06 CST 2009

I like end to ender.
I'll buy all that.  Makes sense to me. Which basically equates to my plan
thus...  I intend to hike a long section of the PCT from about Bear Creek
and VVR toTimberline Lodge and do it thru-hiker style.  Nothing wrong with
being in style, just don't like trendy.  The nice things is, it really
doesn't matter.  While we may have pleasant arguments about this and that
here on the list, it isn't out on the trail.  And I don't know about anyone
else around here, I like to keep and open mind and while I may be
opinionated, I don't believe anything is realy set in stone, you just have
to persuade me.
So Ned's synopsis persuaded me to think like so...  I'm still planning to
thru hike a section of trail somewhere around 1,200 miles.  If you want to
consider that a section hike done in thru-hiker resupply style I'm cool with
that.  I can't think of a better way to describe it.  And how I describe my
intentions to my friends is that "I'm planning to hike from the Sierra up to
Mt Hood in northern Oregon."  They don't know what thru-hike implies anyway,
they do know it's a long ways on foot.
Now I'm looking at possibly getting on a boat for the L.A. to Honolulu race
this summer in July which means I may have change my plans.  There's no
section sailing to Hawaii. you make it or you don't.  It's what we call a
passage, and that's sort of how I think of those who have completed a PCT
end to ender.  Only those who have popped out on the other side know what it
actually feels like.  And to those who have attempted and had to quit the
trial before reaching thier goal, section or border to border, you tried,
and in the mountaneering world, attempts count for something, so don't cut
yourself short.  You know what it's like to be out there, and experience is
priceless.
Thanks Ned for the comments.
Stephen