[pct-l] time before peanut butter goes bad

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Feb 26 08:33:53 CST 2009

Good morning, Zoli,

If I receive a resupply box it will have been packed about two to three
weeks before I use it.  When I call home from a trail town my next box will
already be at, or on the way to, the next stop.  What I then do is specify
where my stop-after-next box should be sent, the number of trail-days
projected, and the number of Calories per day that it should contain.  That
way the food is in transit and stored for two weeks, and it could be in my
pack for another week.  Peanut butter, and most hard cheeses and salami,
will tolerate that OK.

At home I much prefer the taste of the all-natural, no-preventives, PB, but
for resupply boxes I use the name-brand stuff that’s chock full of
preventives to keep it from going funky.  Yummy.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye