[pct-l] reduced need to carry extra water ?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Feb 26 14:21:37 CST 2009

Good morning, Don,

Sorry if I missed something.  I’m wrestling with a new/different mail host
and I don’t exactly like it.

Anyway, there is no linkage between the need for a bear ‘can and a reduced
need to carry water.  It’s a coincidence.  Crossing the SoCal deserts,
including the end of the Mojave desert, hikers experience poor water
availability – sometimes 20-25 dry miles at a time.  The result is often
considerable water must be carried to get through -- maybe as many as eight
liters at a time.  North of Walker Pass, just before Kennedy Meadows, the
water situation begins to improve; particularly when paralleling the S. Fork
of the Kern River.  Past KM there are a couple of short dry stretches, but
the further north you go into the Sierras the more water you will find.  With
water that abundant I carried only ½ - 1 liter at a time.  That is about
12-15 lbs. less total pack weight even after adding the ‘can and maybe an
ice axe, etc.  The whole story isn’t quite that dramatic however, because
while the weight of the water in the deserts diminishes as it is consumed
the weight of the ‘can and other hardware remains with you.  Only the weight
of the food in the can diminishes, at a rate of about 2 lbs. per day.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye