[pct-l] Ice Axes on Amtrak

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 18:13:05 CST 2009

On 2/26/09, CHUCK CHELIN <steeleye at wildblue.net> wrote:

> Based upon the mid-winter snow reports SoCal might have lower than average
> snowpack this year >

Well, if you look at the San Diego precip numbers we're well past last
year's total at this time.  Don't know how well that correlates with
the San Jacinto (about a 100 miles away) snow levels.  I just called
the Idyllwild ranger station, and the lady didn't have recent
information on the snow level up on the PCT, but figured it was at
least as much as last year at this time.

I went for visit last year on 4/10, and both directions heading out of
Saddle Junction were definitely route-finding and (IMO) ice ax
country.  There were already thru hikers coming through, and I gave
one couple a ride up to Black Mountain Road, in order to get around
Fuller Ridge.  They had managed the hike up to Saddle Junction from
74, and were probably the first that year, but it was a rather
challenging effort.

I actually hiked Fuller Ridge about a month later , the snow was a
minor challenge in a couple short spots and the trail was easily
findable.