[pct-l] GPS Recommendations

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Thu Feb 26 21:02:00 CST 2009

Yes, I'm a little concerned about Magellan as Halfmile said. I've owned
several Garmins and they've always worked well (and can receive
waypoints from NG Topo very easily). However, the ability to have actual
NG Topo maps on SD cards that I can plug into the Magellan is so
tempting. Often I'm out and decide on a hike, but haven't bothered to
print maps or download waypoints.

(As I understand, I would have to use the Magellan software to load the
NG Topos, so I would have to do a little prep up front, but with a
couple SD cards could have enough for most spontaneous trips.)

I'm not real impressed with the Garmin topo maps. They're not horrible,
but they're not great IMO. However, they are much better than some
Delorme maps I've used, which I found almost useless (trail on the wrong
side of a ridge, etc.)

Yes, I'd only buy it from REI so I can take it back if ever I find it
doesn't work right. And hey, I have enough dividend this year to buy the
Triton 400. Remember, "REI dividends can only be spent at REI ;-)"
AsABat