[pct-l] axes vs. whippets

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Thu Feb 26 22:55:18 CST 2009

Found a series of reviews regarding the use of self-arrest poles vs. ice axes.

Take a read before investing the same amount of money on an axe!

 http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_2263364_black_diamond_whippet_self_arrest_pole_reviews

Unless you intend on spending a fair amount of time in the snow as we do, I ask you not to buy ice axes, but to buy a Whippet.
If you know what to look for in a dangerous snow slope and are wise enough to have your axe out and in hand before crossing it, then
buy an axe. It certainly can, in trained hands, save your life, but you've got to have it in your hands first.

The Whippet is in your hands all the time. No wondering whether you should have your axe out or not. Works as a regular pole, too.
If you're a two-pole person, a Whippet and a regular pole with a snow basket work great together. No need for two Whippets.

Costs about the same as a certified axe, as well. Both about $90 bucks.

Don't buy those lightweight, un-certified axes or potty-trowels. Since it's not certified, the manufacturer won't guarantee that it won't break
apart when you crash on the ice and need it to save your life. I know they're lightweight, but why are you carrying it in the first place?

Mtnned