[pct-l] Ice Axes on Amtrak

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Feb 26 23:21:09 CST 2009

On Feb 26, 2009, at 9:06 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Ice Axes on Amtrak
I didn't take an ice axe on the Amtrak, but I did take my stinky pack
with my trekking poles.

The train is NOTHING like plane travel. They treat you like a human
being. I put my pack on a rack downstairs and then sat comfortably
upstairs, usually in the lounge car looking out the window. I was
never inspected, never had to take off my shoes, never told to sit in
my seat with a seat belt on, never asked a single question about the
pack or the trekking poles, AND I got to eat with real silverware.

I only went as far as Santa Barbara, but if you are at all concerned
about whether a train in LA will accept your ice axe, you can either
ask them yourself or figure out a way to put the axe inside your
pack. There is no X-ray of your stuff.

Diane