[pct-l] Running Shoes vs. boots

Fuzz McPherson fuzzmcpherson at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 27 14:12:27 CST 2009

I wear trail running shoes a lot.  I would go out on the trail expecting to be able to use a pair hiking for at least 1,000 miles.  The cushion etc. would be pounded down, so running in them that long probably wouldn't be advisable.

I've found that the sole is great in mud and for control, stopping power, etc., in comparison with just regular running shoes on trail.  I don't have much input on the comparison between boots and trail running shoes for stopping, mud, etc.

The lower sole and heel, though, in my opinion should help you avoid an injury to your ankles if you were to roll your ankle while wearing a trail running shoe as compared to doing the same with boots on, except that maybe your boots have enough ankle support to compensate for the higher heel.

The shoes stay cooler, too, than boots, by far, which should help you avoid blisters, etc.

The biggest thing I'd say is before commiting to whatever it is you are gonna wear for thousands of miles, try em each out for a couple of hundred.  It's worth the investment.