[pct-l] Sandals in the Sierra, Ursacks in SoCal?

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Feb 27 19:52:34 CST 2009

On Feb 27, 2009, at 5:33 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
>  I was considering carrying gaiters and
> Gore-Tex trail runners for the passes and lightweight Tevas for the
> crossings. Is that crazy? Would I be spending all of my time
> changing shoes?

Yes, you'll be spending all your time changing shoes. Just wear
lightweight, mesh trail runners and when you cross a creek the water
will spill right out. No sloshing noises. You're feet will be wet,
but it won't matter. You'll have hooves by then that can handle
everything.

You don't get wet just by crossing streams. You get wet walking on
snow, in puddles on the trail, on marshy grass. The whole trail is a
creek sometimes. Your feet are not going to stay dry and it really
seems pointless to try. Pointless not because it is futile so much as
because it just isn't important.

About ursacks, I carried one throughout the entire hike, hoping that
if some squirrel tried to get my food, it would help. I never had
anything try to get my food. I think I will leave the ursack home
this year. It just wasn't big enough for my food anyway. It was
neither good nor bad. Just did not seem necessary. Bring one, though,
if you want. It won't hurt you.