[pct-l] Running Shoes vs. boots

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Fri Feb 27 19:59:05 CST 2009

Hey, Diane!

Your sense of humor is wonderful! I'm still trying to envision the bus on
the trail...

What I was thinking about was more of evasive maneuvers, sudden changes of
course, the quick turn you have to make when you see a root, boulder, or
branch in your path. Sometimes just quickly moving around the campsite my
foot will roll over a twig, cone, or stone on the compacted ground there.

I wonder if the Vibram compound used for the runners is different than what
they use for the heavy boots to keep weight down and flexibility up?

As far as weights go, my pack and I are not typical of the mainstream. I
usually gain weight on my longer hikes (anything over three weeks). I
started the Crest at 155 and finished at 175 while my pack went from 55 to
65 pounds. As I got stronger I hiked faster and then had more time to enjoy
my surroundings. I carried an assortment of field guides to plants, animals,
and peak climbs, a Thoreau or Leopold book, a few sci-fi paperbacks, a
recorder (musical instrument), at one point a mask and snorkel, and two
large and heavy Nikkor lenses for animal photography.
I averaged 24 miles per day and when I got to a place I liked I stopped and
relaxed, read, went for a day-hike or fishing, or would eat one of my 4-man
meals, hot off the stove!

Mtnned