[pct-l] Idyllwild Enter/Exit

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 00:30:07 CST 2009

On 2/27/09, Gary Wright <gwtmp01 at mac.com> wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2009, at 12:55 AM, jason moores wrote:
>
> > How bad is Devil's Slide? Does anyone know how much altitude gain/
> > loss there is per mile? Or the gradient %.
>
> It is a good trail with lots of switchbacks.  I'm working from memory
> but I think it
> is a 1500 to 2000' elevation change from Saddle Junction to the
> trailhead at the
> bottom on Devil's Slide.  Of course you'll have to hitch from there or
> walk the
> road into town.

The Harrison map says 6480' at the bottom, 8100' at Saddle Junction,
2.5 miles (I'd say it's more like 2). Then two more miles to downtown.

BTW, I don't think it's SOP for folks to skip from 74 to Idyllwild.
Last year a fire closed 74->Saddle Junction.  Maybe other years snow
was a problem for some.