[pct-l] Sandals in the Sierra, Ursacks in SoCal?

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 00:49:42 CST 2009

I carried neoprene socks into the Sierras and changed into and out of
them at my first couple of stream crossings, and while they did make
the crossing more comfortable, they were too time consuming, tedious
to deal with, so I mailed them home and from then on did what at least
"many" thru's do, just walked through the streams (with shoes on).
If you're really concerned, I guess you could consider a goretex sock
(lighter weight), both for use in wet trail conditions in general (as
Diane said, the trail can be a steam below the snow/no-snow
boundaries), and to put on *after* a stream crossing, to keep socks
dry-ish in now-wet shoes.   But what I would really suggest is that
you either save the weight or apply it to regular socks, liner and/or
wool.   You just keep moving and it's not that big of a deal.

Ursack: I went with just a regular food bag prior to the Sierras, a
bear can from KM to Sonora Pass, and an Ursack thereafter, and I
thought this all was a good approach.  Not a lot of things trying to
get your food in the first 700 miles, and for me personally, the
Ursack added a little confidence over sleeping with my food in the
latter half+ of the trip.    I definitely wouldn't have been
counterbalancing or any sort of bear bag hanging day after day, unless
in areas I knew were frequented by bears ... most thru's just sleep
with their food most of the time, and it wouldn't bother me to go that
route too now.   I hiked three sections with my wife, and I think she
wouldn't have been comfortable without the Ursack, which was another
minor factor.   The Ursack certainly is an easy solution, and like
Diane said, it certainly won't hurt you.   I'd probably do exactly the
same things I did last year (to include the Ursack), but don't feel
particularly strong about it either way.

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle