[pct-l] Bear Canisters

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Feb 28 06:48:02 CST 2009

Good morning, Romano,

There is an explanation of the process early in my Journal, but here is part
of it:

“The process is this: I will write my Trail Journal notes on paper. At a
town or resupply point I will phone home with a brief verbal report, then
put my paper notes and a full camera memory chip in the snail-mail. The
notes will then be transcribed at home, provided they are legible, and will
be posted to Trail Journals. The result is, there can be a lag of up to two
weeks between when the notes of a day are written and when they are posted.
I could shorten the lag if I typed my notes into a small PocketMail
composer, and transmitted the resulting files as e-mail whenever I find a
phone. Many hikers do so but, even though I have a composer, I am reluctant
to carry the additional 9-10 ounces.”

Since that was written I’ve divested myself of the composer(s) – I had two
of them – and I certainly won’t tolerate the weight of a computer.  I, too,
am old-school in my approach.  In the early years of the manned space
program I read that USA had spent an obscene amount of treasure trying to
develop a pen that would reliably work in a zero-gravity environment.  The
Russians thought about that for a while then gave their Cosmonauts a pencil.
 I have no idea if that story is true, but it typifies my low-tech approach.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Romano Scaturro
<romano at swiftwireless.com>wrote:

> I checked out your journal.  Very nice.  Did you carry a laptop with you or
> did you transcribe your notes to computer afterwards?  If you had a laptop,
> how did you recharge batteries?  Do you upload your notes to the internet at
> intervals along the way?
>
> I'm old school and still journal my travels with a pen and notebook.  After
> my trips I staple all my journal pages together along with pictures and/or
> news articles and throw it in a travel box which, perhaps someday, my kids
> or grandkids will discover.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "CHUCK CHELIN" <steeleye at wildblue.net>

>>> HSM). Pick up your canister here at the start of the "canister-required"