[pct-l] training for thru-hike and gear comment

Connie Davis conniedavis at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 28 07:41:34 CST 2009

2005 experience here:
We did not train at all.  I was 45, my son 19.  We did 5 miles the
first evening, then 15 miles, then the KO and were pretty much able
to do 20 mile days.  We didn't seem to fare any worse than any other
hikers for blisters or pain.  Our longest day was 28 miles (yes, in
Oregon) and I'm sure my son could have done that much more
consistently than I could have or would have wanted to.

My advice is to make sure you walk at your pace when you start--
people seem to have more injuries and physical problems if they are
trying to keep up with someone.

Re: gear
Quite a few of the dedicated trail journal writers do a good job of
commenting in the gear section of trailjournals.com, so make sure you
poke around on some of your favorite journals and see what you can
learn.  I still use almost all the same exact gear for long-distance
hikes now that we used in 2005.  I would carry an Ursack now and I
will be getting a 6 moon designs shelter this year, since my son has
the Tarptent we used.   My husband and I use the REI quarterdome (4
lbs) which is bombproof in bad weather--the design has been altered
since we bought ours, though.

Have a great time out there!

Lookout
Chilliwack, BC