[pct-l] Running Shoes vs. boots

Andrew Jones a.freddy.j at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 09:34:08 CST 2009

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but there are some good
hybrid shoes out there that offer some benefits of both trail runners and
boots. I wear Keen Targhee Lows, which I found fit my feet extremely well (I
have wide feet), especially with green Superfeet. This combo offers a more
aggressive tread than trail runners, better toe protection, and (in my
experience so far) better durability. They also come with eVent
waterproofing, which I've found to be more breathable than some GoreTex
shoes I've had. However, I did some stream crossings in the Absarokas with
them, and yes, they do turn into wearable buckets. My solution was to wear
the shoes in the brewery where I work (we use a lot of low concentration
chemical cleaning solutions) until the waterproofing was gone. You could
also take a nail or leather ream and punch holes in them, which I might do
for added ventilation in the desert. As for weight, my size 10's are 16.9 oz
per shoe, which I think is comparable to trail runners. The low shoe cut
eliminates worries of being "over-supported". YMMV

Also wanted to mention my socks - which I haven't seen mentioned yet on the
list. They are Wigwam (formerly Ingenius) Rebel Fusions. Very thin and
light, and uses a special stitching that combines a thin wool exterior with
an olefin lining material, all in one sock. My socks are probably one of the
coolest most high tech pieces of gear I own. They keep my feet dry. Not too
much padding, but if your feet are broken in to your shoes (or vice versa)
I've found that extra padding just holds moisture and makes you more prone
to blisters. Again, YMMV

Andy