[pct-l] Summer hike plans

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Feb 28 20:16:41 CST 2009

Good evening, Marion,

I bought 80 soft, taco-size, multi-grain tortillas on 3 June and I used the
last of them 12 June at Tuolumne Meadows.  That’s not as long as you plan
but mine were still fresh at the end.  They were packed either 8 or 10 to a
package -- I don’t remember which -- and I left them in their plastic
wrappers until I ate them.  The 80 tortillas were a snug fit in the bear
‘can and stacked to about half the inside height.

You could probably read the labels and maybe find the ones with
preservatives.  I don’t know that the whole-grain tortillas are more or less
durable, I just like them better.  If I had to keep them for a longer time I
might try to somehow treat them with vinegar to retard mold.

I phoned home from KM.  The store owner loaned me his cell phone and I used
my calling card.

That should be a great trip.  Most of the NoBo hiker-trash should be out of
your way by then.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye