[pct-l] Camp Shoes and Such

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Feb 28 21:26:37 CST 2009

Good evening, Jason,

Back in the days of clomping along in big, heavy, leather boots many hikers
used to carry sneakers because they were just soooooo comfortable to wear at
the end of the day.  They were right, so I just began wearing sneakers all
the time.

I still don’t carry anything else.  1)  At the end of the day I don’t bum
around camp; I throw my bed on the ground and crawl in. 2) I don’t find my
sneakers are uncomfortable at the end of the day, and significantly, 3) I
save a pound or so which is a substantial percentage of my 8-10 lbs. of
gear.

I’m not willing to carry that pound or so for 12-14 hours every day just to
wear them for 15 minutes.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye