[pct-l] Training fora thru hike

Robert W. Freed robert at engravingpros.com
Fri Jan 2 10:36:17 CST 2009

> Can anyone offer some REAL words of wisdom for how to train for a thru hike?

Some strength training. Squats, lunges and other calf and thigh exercises.
Some cardio. Stationary bike or jogging.
But all of that will not get you ready for the real thing. It will help but you have
to get out there and hike. You use muscles in ways that you just can't train
for with weights or jogging. I have found that I don't really need to train at all.
No matter how much you work out you are still going to have to get your trail
legs the hard way, a couple of back to back weeks on the trail. You'll know
when you are there. You will be walking up to some pass and realize you
have been waking uphill for hours without rest, pouring sweat and not tired
or out of breath. It's a great feeling.
The only thing I would suggest is that you do a few long hikes before you start
to avoid getting sore.
Robert