[pct-l] Snow Travel Course, Echo Summit

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Fri Jan 2 15:03:52 CST 2009

Hi, Kathi and everyone else who has desired this training and experience:

I can teach the course each month between now and Kick Off.
What I need to know is which month you'd like to attend, keeping in mind the
type of conditions that will be present and what you'd like to learn.

January has lots of powder and often weekend storms. If you want to learn
how to deal with these and test your gear and food systems, too, then this
is your month.

February can have the same, but because there is more snow on the ground,
there is a better chance to study avalanche conditions and understand what
the snow pack is and how knowing its condition helps for both speed and
safety in travel.

March is a little warmer, thus the pack can be more consolidated and stable.
This means less avalanche concerns (maybe) and easier travel-maybe even
without snowshoes or skis. The warmer temps. also make for more ice and the
lessons learned about how to travel on it, avoid it, and how to test your
trust of it.

April is warmer yet, so the pack is becoming safer for avalanches. At this
time we can almost safely traverse open bowls, glissade, and not worry about
cornices (as maybe they have already fallen), so we may be able to walk
anywhere we want and still straight across the big lakes. This is the month
where the snow will most closely be like what you will see in the High
Sierra when you get there. However, training for the worst conditions found
in January will relieve you when the weather turns for the worst in the
Sierra in June or the North Cascades in October.

Mtnned