[pct-l] Dehydrated Bed

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sat Jan 3 13:01:12 CST 2009

Patti writes:I like the dehydrated water invention!....I actually have been trying to figure out a way to dehydrate my warm comfy bed...any ideas?
Switchback replies: Yes, this is?an age old question.? How do we take the comforts of civilization on the trail?? Of course, the hardcore hiker trash answer would be to just get use to roughing it out there and don't worry about home comforts.? Don't be a sissy.? Don't be a whiner.? Go UltraLight.? Stop complaining and be tough like your ancestors.? When out on the trail the philosophy is, no blood, no foul or pain is only weakness leaving the body.

Unfortunately, I am a trail dandy, so I relate to your question.? The best bedding idea I have come up with is a nice full length foam/air mattress.? It is truly nice.? Mine weighs 1.5 pounds, but is worth it.? No cold spots and it form fits to my body as I roll around at night in my free-standing tent.? Very nice.? I used light foam for years for bedding, but find now that just does not cut it.

So, if I am on a thru hike and I only go 18-21 miles a day instead of 23-26 miles a day for the same energy expenditure because of my extra gear weights, so what?? I could care less.? I am really enjoying my hike and camping, just like the hikers going 25-35 miles a day.? HYOH.