[pct-l] Heat & cold Windshirt. Umbrella.

Jereen Anderson jereenanderson at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 14:26:49 CST 2009

From: MendoRider
Thought I would chime in on your windshirt question. Assuming it's sunny, the color of what you put on (cloths,hat pack) will definately influence how warm or cold you will be. This especially matters when you are hiking/climbing long distances in either hot or cold days in the sun. If it is very hot, and it can be on the PCT, and you are also in the full sun,no shade, white, or at least light is best. If it is cold and windy ( you will encounter that too ) and also sunny go for black. There is a measurable, and also a noticeable, difference in temperature between black and white and between allof the shades in between when you are in the full sun. Try this: On some hot, sunny day go to a car dealers lot, one where there is a line of identical cars of all different colors, including black and white. Now go down the line placing your palm on each hood. The white will be coolest. The colors will be progressively warmer as they get darker. The black one
 will be hot enough, perhaps. to fry an egg. I also do endurance racing ( with a horse for 50 to 100 miles) I wear a white helmet, as I did on my PCT thru-ride, to keep a cool head. A black one would be very uncomfortable on a hot day. For the PCT bringing a black shirt, white one, and also one of those silver umbrellas might be a good plan. The windshirts are really lightweight and you would have options. In cold, windy weather, layers work well, wear the black one over the white (or light) one. Thinking of those cool silver umbrellas that some hikers have - - - they are bringing shade with them as they hike. Smart. When Jereen and I crossed the Sahara we drove a white VW van. We also brought along some shade. I installed a full-length white platform 3" above the roof. Very effective. Also good for storing extra tires, gas, sandmats, water, etc.