[pct-l] Maps

jomike at cot.net jomike at cot.net
Sun Jan 4 12:58:43 CST 2009

Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 18:14:36 -0600
From: "Ellen Shopes" <>
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Maps
To: <pct-l at backcountry.net>

I agree with Carl.  I like the USFS maps, because they give a good overview.
You never know when you might need to detour, either for health reasons, bad
weather, failing equipment, fire closures, etc.  Although they cover too
much topography to be good in orienteering, they provide alot of good info.
I've gone thru and marked the water sources for the desert sections, and put
a bit of other stuff on 'em as well (ie, tick country, look out for poisen
oak, etc).
The maps in the guide books are too small for my aging eyes to make out much
detail!
Elderly Ellen

Sign me, glad you spoke up for I agree, and, older eyes here too.  :)

are we there yet