[pct-l] Grid, Graph, Spreadsheet in Preparation and During Hike

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Jan 5 19:00:36 CST 2009

On Jan 5, 2009, at 12:12 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> When preparing for the PCT did anyone write up a spreadsheet, grid or
> something of that sort which they mailed to themselves which told
> them how
> far they were expected to walk that day or outlined the section as
> the major
> water points etc?
> If so can someone forward me a copy of how they set this up so I
> can go
> about making something that I could use as a quick reference...
>
> Or is this just a complete waste of time.

I recall I ran across such a thing when I was planning. It ended up
being a complete waste of time for me. This may be it:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p8pQvTG41aedxI1-Wh0eFAw

Other non-spreadsheet info I found useful:
I used this web site to get a rough idea of my schedule. It didn't
come close, however. I thought I would hike 15 miles a day. I hiked
20-25. So the timeline was useless. But it was a great tool to give
me an idea and generate some excitement.
http://www.pctplanner.com/file.php

I actually found this web site to be very helpful because it told me
where the good stores might be. It could be out-of-date, but it's not
hard to walk into a one-street town and find a place to eat or shop.
And asking locals works well, too.
http://www.purebound.com/PCT/resupply.htm

This one was helpful, too:
http://asthecrowflies.org/resuply-schedule-for-my-pct-pacific-crest-
trailhike/

The best resource for water is the water report. It will be available
at the Kickoff and online if you don't go to the Kickoff. I did not
carry the water report. Instead I wrote down the water report info in
my data book in pencil. That way I would not lose it or have to
consult too many pieces of paper.

Don't use last year's water report, but here it is so you can view it:
http://www.4jeffrey.net/pct/

Piper