[pct-l] Grid, Graph, Spreadsheet in Preparation and During Hike

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Jan 6 10:40:56 CST 2009

...And before the hyper-planning police get on my case, let me
clarify what I mean by shopping when the food is low:

- You consult the guide book. Looks like about 6 days to the next town.
- You consult your resources (Yogi book or whatever) for the next
town, see that its grocery store options are good.
- You go to the store. Buy 6 days worth of food.
- Hike.
- Arrive at the next town.
- You consult the guide book. Looks like about 5 days to the next town.
- You consult your resources (Yogi book or whatever) for the next
town, see that its grocery store options suck and the town after that
is another 6 days.
- You buy 5 days of food for your next leg plus an extra 6 days worth
of food, put it in a box and mail it to the next town.
- Hike.
- Discover you're going to take longer than 5 days, or that you
simply cannot swallow peanut butter on dry tortillas anymore. Consult
your guide book. See there is a place to grab a burger on the trail.
That's an extra meal or two in your pack. There may be a convenience
store you could detour to. Or you might see some poor kids on the JMT
with their father laboring under 200lbs of snacks. He'll beg you to
take some food. Take some anyway, even if you don't need it. You can
always eat more food! Or, in the worst scenario, see that you'll have
to make a really arduous detour off the trail, go into a town you
didn't expect to, find out it's a great town full of hikers, enjoy an
impromptu fun break from the trail, and head back with your spirits
lifted.

Seriously, it all works out.

Lather, rinse, repeat for 6 months. Look ahead a little more, a
little less. Consult your resources which you may have in abundance
or might have to look up on the Internet from time-to-time. It's just
like regular life.