[pct-l] Apparently There are other stores besides REI. Gear ?'s

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Tue Jan 6 11:29:52 CST 2009

E A wrote:
> Okay so instead of me writing 9 emails about gear questions. What
> gear are people using to have a base weight of about 12-15lbs.

Getting below 15 lbs won't be easy without some long distance hiking
experience, so you know what you really need and what you can do without.

> Pack---  Would like to keep around 2lbs  Granite Gear(Vapor Trail),
> ULA ???

Those are good choices. Also Gossamer Gear, Six Moon Designs.

> Sleeping Bag-- 20 Degree Down  Western, Golite ???

Western Mountaineering. Marmot. Feathered Friends.

> Shelter--- Tarptent, ???  http://tarptent.com/products.html  would
> prefer something like the Sublite sil, Rainbow, or contrail.
> Something that has some netting.

If you want netting sewn in, Tarptent may be your best option. If you
don't need the bug netting, check out Mountain Laurel Designs tarps.

I think Gossamer Gear and Six Moon Designs also have tents worth
considering.

> Stove --  Planning on bringing a canister stove. Better option???

Home made alcohol stove. There are a lot of designs out there. The Pika
stove is a good one. I'd point you to my own design, but after using it
on the trail, I decided that it burns too fast. If you are into
tinkering with the design, you might be able to modify mine and make it
work.

> Cookware--  rei titanium pot (got it used at a garage sale)

Stick with what you already have. Anti Gravity Gear makes a good
aluminum pot, but what you already have will be fine.

> Trekking Poles

Leki makes lightweight poles. I got mine at REI.

> Rain Gear-- Rei Jacket, and Pants, ???

Frog Toggs or Dry Ducks. These are two brands of cheap, lightweight rain
gear that won't hold up well, but should get you through. If you Google,
I think you can find a silnylon jacket or a cuben fiber jacket. The key
here is to keep in mind that you will carry your rain gear a LOT more
than you will use it. There are a lot of differing opinions on rain
gear. There is a big trade off between weight and durability.

Breathability is a big problem. That is why some people prefer a
silnylon poncho.

You will need rain protection mostly in Washington. Consider carrying
minimal rain gear in California and Oregon, and switching to something
beefier in Washington.

> Ice Axe

Depends on how much risk you are willing to take. A lot (most?) of
through hikers know they should have an ice axe, but don't know how to
use it. Some carry it, because they know they are supposed to have it,
but never take it off of their packs.

Popular options:
CAMP Corsa. REI carries it.
ULA potty trowel.
Nothing. Use your poles to help you keep your feet under you, and hope
for the best. An ice axe that you don't know how to use isn't any better
than nothing anyway.

> Footware--- Was thinking of using boots-- i hate wet feet.

This is a BAD choice! There are a few who prefer boots, but trail
runners are generally a better choice. Except in the Sierras, where wet
feet are inevitable, and norther Washington, where rain is inevitable,
wet feet will be caused by heat and sweat. Boots are heavy, hot, and
they dry too slowly. You want something that is lightweight, breathable,
and drys quickly. For most of the hike, your feet will be wetter in
boots than in lightweight shoes.

Some people prefer sandals, even on snowpack.

You will get a lot of recommendations, but the bottom line is what works
for YOU. They need to fit your feet and have lots of wiggle room for
your toes. Some people's feet get larger on their hikes. Be prepared in
case that happens to you.

I wore Merrell Moab Ventilators, only because they were the only
comfortable, light weight shoes I could find that had enough room in the
toe box. New Balance is a popular brand among hikers.

> Compass or GPS or both?

Compass. You will rarely need it. Carry a GPS if you are into gadgets,
and you don't mind the extra few ounces.

> How much clothing total?

Everyone has differing opinions.

> Pairs of socks?

At least two pair. Wear one pair. Pin the other pair onto the outside of
your pack. Switch socks every two hours. Seriously. I didn't take good
care of my feet for the first 100 miles, and that is one thing that took
me off the trail. I started the sock rotation too late to save my feet.

Some people will wear two pairs of thin socks to help avoid blisters
from rubbing. Others find two pairs of socks too hot and only wear one.
Don't underestimate the effect heat will have on your feet.

> Pants?

1 pair of sun resistant pants. Or not, if you prefer to slather on the
sunscreen and hike in shorts.

> Shirts?

There are differing opinions based on how many layers one needs to stay
warm. A lightweight, sun proof shirt is a good choice. Additional layers
as needed to get you through the cold and rainy sections of the trail.
Some people carry lightweight thermal underwear to wear at night. This
adds warmth and helps keep your sleeping bag clean. Keep them dry, so
you always have something dry to change into at night.

> Hats?

One sun proof hat. People have their own preferences. Your rain jacket
will probably have a hood.

> Gloves?

Gloves serve three purposes: sun protection, warmth, mosquito
protection. Unless you wear them all day for sun protection, gloves are
another piece of gear you will carry more than you will use.

> Underwear?

There are differing opinions here as well. This could be, and has been
in the past, a topic of discussion of its own.