[pct-l] Fuel Canisters

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Tue Jan 6 21:41:26 CST 2009

I was at the Kennedy Meadows (south) store twice in 2008, but honestly can not remember if they had fuel canisters or not. I use an Esbit solid fuel stove so had no reason to look. With all the hikers plus the campground nearby, I can not imagine them NOT stocking them, but Murphy suggests they might be "between deliveries" when you arrive. You could call Al or Leona (owners) to find out. (559-850-5647)

In August 2008, I stopped at the two minimarts in Independence, CA to check fuel availability. Neither Shell nor Chevron had the MSR-style canister. I suggested to the Shell station that hikers would want them and they made a note for the owner; the Chevron wasn't interested in my suggestion.

Shell did have the CampingGaz canisters, but those have a proprietary thread that only works with CampingGaz stoves. Chevron had a few of the now-obsolete 6 and 10.6 oz Coleman Powermax cylinders.

Both had white gas and the big 16.4 oz green Coleman cylinders .

Independence is a lousy town stop with no market and only a Subway at the Chevron in which to eat. It does have a post office though. IMO, you're better off to catch the local bus into Bishop, which is a full service town.

Muir Trail Ranch maintains a good supply of all canisters. From their website: http://www.muirtrailranch.com/resupply.html

"We have propane canisters IN STOCK AT ALL TIMES. You do not need to reserve one. We also keep ample white gas and denatured alcohol for sale at reasonable prices. We also have nice dry pine firewood, but don't get a lot of requests for it."