[pct-l] Horse rentals

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Jan 6 21:55:27 CST 2009

This is a commonly heard theme from hikers.  I love horses, and don't mind
horse manure (around here, we think it's good stuff).  That said, because
horses have to have feed that can be transported easily for trail travel,
they usually eat very dense pelleted feed, which makes their waste very
dense, and I've noticed that it does not break down to soft spongy
mulch-like material like it does at home. I've seen what look like petrified
horse apples on the trail, obviously left over from previous seasons.   We
give ours whole oats, which makes the birds peck through it for the seed and
the bugs, and within an hour our piles are flattened and begin disappear.
You can't feed them anything with seeds in many areas of the mountains
though, because this makes non-native plants germinate, creating a whole
different problem.

I do not understand for the life of me why "dooty" bags aren't required on
the trails for the reasons you mention, which could be emptied off-trail,
making things nice for everyone concerned.  These are used for parades, but
it's not something you see commonly.

And, I know you were half-joking about standing off the trail, but it is for
safety (yours, the horse's, and the rider's), not for superiority.  A lot of
the packers I've seen in the Sierras are simply in a hurry, and they've seen
many more hikers because of how fast they travel, and just can't stop to
visit with everyone they pass.  Besides, if they're managing a string of
horses, there are issue to consider if/when you stop (horses don't all just
stand still and wait).  The "yield" protocol of bikes to people, and people
and bikes to horses, are established for good reason.

L-Rod