[pct-l] Steripen

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 09:44:58 CST 2009

Been several posts lately on Steripen; here's my  input. I originally bought
a Classic; had no problems with it, except when I let  the battery compartment
gasket get wet 1.5 dys before the end of my last CO  Trail hike in 06.
Steripen replaced it for $10; said they'd repair it, but the  one that came back
wasn't mine, and looked brand new. It weighs 7 oz, with  lithium batteries and
some Potable Aqua for emergencies.
    When the Adventurer/Traveler came out, I decided to  spend the money for
the weight savings. Ordered it on an REI 20% off sale; then  I looked in Sam's
for batteries - nope; WalMart - yep, for $10. Then I reread  the battery life
chart - $10 for 12.5 gl. The Classic gives 50 gl for $10 of  lithiums; sent
the Adventurer/Traveler back; wasn't worth the weight savings, to  me, or the
difficulty of finding CR-123 batteries in a pinch.
    I started keeping track of real life battery usage,  last summer on the
PCT; so far, this set of lithium's are up to 11.25 gl.  I'll try to remember to
post the final results next summer, uh this  summer.
    I had an idea a few days ago for a light debris  filter for h2o - the
stainless screen from a broken french press coffee maker. I  haven't tested one,
or checked the weight, but I know from washing a french  press daily that the
screen is very light. Just checked it on my cheap postal  scales - barely
moved the needle on the 25-lb scale, and less than 1/4 oz on the  1-lb scale.

Bob  "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen
Naturalized Citizen - Republic of  Texas

Government cripples you, then hands you a crutch and says, 'See, if  it
wasn't for us, you couldn't walk.'
-- Harry Browne

"If you think  health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs
when its free."
-- P. J. ORourke