[pct-l] Grid, Graph, Spreadsheet in Preparation and During Hike

Scott thehairlesscat at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 13:41:12 CST 2009

Boy, do we need to be so defensive about planning?  Why jumped to
conclusions about how people plan.  For example, I'm planning on doing a
spreadsheet (although it's not in any form yet, just note gathering right
now).  It will say how far it is from one poin to the next, where water can
be found, what side trips may be available, and what info from all the
various guidebooks I found necessary and interesting.  That way I can carry
the lightest weight set of info that gives ME exactly what info I want
instead of a bunch of pages from guidebooks that list things I don't
necessarily want.

Planning doesn't always mean scheduling dates and times.  Sorry to get all
defensive and maybe I was taking what someone said wrong, but I felt like
everytime someone talked about planning the trip they got told they were
idiots to do so, and I think the word "planning" is a little more open to
interpretation.  Hope I didn't offend anyone.

--
-Scott
-Trailcat if this message is hiker related.

Disclaimer: Trailcat should be taken to imply no actual cat-like ability
including but not limited to the ability to land upright or show any kind of
grace in motion whatsoever.  Scott should be taken to be my name and no
ability to play the bagpipes should be inferred.