[pct-l] Horses on PCT

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 8 22:50:43 CST 2009

Ed

Me thinks that you are a bit defensive.  I said nothing against horses themselves or their riders.  I just shared my feelings.  I even gave credit to horses for working maintenance on the trail.  I only said that I don't like walking through their leftovers.

That was all I was going to say because I know they have every right to be out there and they ain't going to go away just to make me happy.  Hick, horses are a BIG part of the story of the West, anyone would be a fool not to recognize that.  But you got yourself a real holier than tho attitude there Ed.  Clearly I hit a button.

I guess it is easy to say "step over it" when you are sitting atop a horse and not walking through it.  Yea, I have to adjust my behavior because you can't put a dooty bag on your animal.

But I was not speaking of just a pile or two dropped here and there, I can step over that, and don't even mind too much when there is a trail of well dried droppings.  I was thinking more of those (admittedly not too often occasions on the PCT) when I have had to watch every step, to those times when a group of horses who aren't assisting in trail maintenance are just ahead of me and who let it go every time we come upon an incline. Ugh!  It's like hiking through a horse toilet.  Because someone with the money to own and keep horses would rather ride than hike.

And, yea, I know why the rules say step down-slope and let the horse pass, I just resent it when I am working so hard to do my hike and some lazy day-riders come by and I have to get off the road only to follow behind their fresh droppings.  That is my button pushed.  And yes, I admit that I am displaying a holier than tho attitude here too.  Because I am just as capable of being a horses ass as the next person and I admit it.

And as far as horse trails being around before cars is concerned, well Ed, walking trails were around long before the Spanish brought the horse to America.

One can plan on the season, spend hundreds of dollars on the right gear, take off from work or quit their job for a real once in a lifetime adventure, buy and dehydrate your food, package your meals, organize a bounce boxes, plan for 0-days, bring Deet and a bug net, a bear bell and plan all you want and still not be able to avoid having to walk through miles of horse manure.  Ah, such is the beauty of the trail where even a ranting horses ass like me can go for a hike grumbling about horseshit till the sun goes down.

You have a good day Ed and the next time you are out riding and your horse poops on the trail, think of me a chuckle to yourself.

Yours in the dust

Amanda