[pct-l] Ice Axes

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 14:39:34 CST 2009

Jack asked: "What about the ULA--anybody use that?  Is it sufficient?"

You're talking about their "Helix Potty Trowel",
http://www.ula-equipment.com/helix.htm

Short answer: IMO yes, others disagree, but I'd be inclined towards the
C.A.M.P. unit anyway.

Longer answer: I carried the smallest version of the ULA Helix this year,
until --- like most people --- I mailed it home (a fairly early melt-out
year, no issues with the unit itself).
If I were doing it again, I think I'd be slightly inclined to the C.A.M.P.
Corsa Ice Axe that others have already referenced,
http://www.rei.com/product/751753

In brief pre-trip testing, I found that I could self-arrest with the ULA
Helix. Since I had no real use for it this year I can't comment much beyond
that (they all dig a great cat hole ...), but I suspect that the carbon
fiber and/or the connection between CF and the head aren't as strong, though
I'm not certain.

The C.A.M.P. unit is slightly heavier, 1.x ounces more.  At that weight it
is a short axe at 50 cm, slightly shorter than the shortest ULA unit, but
unlike the Helix, it's actually rated (the lower rating) as an axe, CE
B-rated.  You can buy a longer one, I believe, but my personal inclination
would be to go for the shortest version.

When I carried mine on my pack, I had foam pipe insulation on the shaft, on
the theory that the carbon fiber is a bit delicate when struck.  That's
another minor plus to the C.A.M.P. unit IMO.

Bottom line is that I would be willing to pay the 1.x ounce weight hit to
get a slightly less expensive axe that's actually rated as an axe.

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle