[pct-l] BBC Adventure Special - Extreme Dreams: The Ultimate Challenge

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 10 16:22:39 CST 2009

If you like some armchair adventure, you might be interested in this. It is kind of a reality TV type program so I have no idea how "real" it will be. I provided some transportation for them when they were here in Cotahuasi, Peru, so I know that it was quite rehearsed and programmed. However it is a group of ordinary people experiencing new challenges and learning to cope with whatever happens. We had one woman break an ankle when she slipped on a wet rocky trail, so I had to drive to the trail head to rescue her, when she returned by burro.

It is a 4 week series, with each week in a different location. The first week is about climbing Chimborazo in Ecuador, week 2 is in the jungle (not sure if it is in Ecuador or Peru), week three is kayaking and trekking here in Cotahuasi, and week 4 is in the Atacama desert in Chile. It runs Monday - Friday, with each night being a different half hour program. The leader is the same throughout but the participants change.

The first episode is Monday, Jan. 12, on BBC Two, at 6:30 pm. Here is the blurb from BBC for that:

"Ben Fogle embarks on an epic South American adventure from the Equator to the Tropic of Capricorn, supported by a team of deserving heroes who help him take on the world's toughest environments.

His journey begins in Ecuador, where he leads his team through the Avenue of Volcanoes to the summit of Mount Chimborazo, the closest point to the sun on Earth. Meeting Ben at the Equator and climbing at high altitude, community worker Sandra is in trouble from the start, while lifeguard Sophie and aid worker Vanessa suffer the early signs of altitude sickness. There's the agonising prospect that their extreme dream could be over before it's properly begun."

You can get more information on the first week's programs here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00gsxxv/episodes/2009

The Jungle starts Monday January 19th, Cotahuasi Monday January 26th and Atacama Monday February 2nd.

Now if only I had satellite TV here!  Enjoy.

Sugar Daddy

Interested in a South American Adventure? Adventure Cotahuasi Tours is starting it's third year in offering adventure tours in Peru.
http://www.adventurecotahuasi.com

Have a look at my blog to see photos and stories of ministry and other activities I am involved in here.
http://vichanson.spaces.live.com/

I have lots of mountain climbing and hiking reports, and information available on my homepage at Summit Post, with lots of photos.
http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=28256