[pct-l] Hiker Hosting in San Diego

Robert E. Riess robert.riess at cox.net
Sat Jan 10 22:46:09 CST 2009

2009 will be my tenth year of hosting hikers in and around San Diego.  I generally meet hikers at the airport, train or bus station.  Hikers usually spend a night or two with me here at the house, and we can usually get the logistics taken care of.  Gear runs to REI, grocery shopping and PO runs are pretty routine. I will accept and hold your packages.  In the 10 days prior to ADZPCTKO it can get pretty crowded.  I have had 11 hikers a couple of times and I had to call in a relief driver.  Nevertheless, all are welcome save one exception: due to the health of a family member, I must limit my hosting to nonsmokers.  Sorry, but even if you don't smoke in the house or the van, the smoke from a smoker's clothing has caused sickness and lost time at work.

In order to get off to a good start, we hold reveille at 4:00am and depart for the trailhead at 4:30.  This allows for a start at firstlight while letting me be at school for first period at 7:00am.  I will try to accommodate everybody's desires, but it's first come, first to be served.  My van holds driver plus 6 with packs.  In past years there have been a few who have had to wait a day for their ride to the trailhead.

Some hikers find me on this list, others by word of mouth or from Yogi's book.  The only way to make initial contact is by email, hikers only please, not by telephone  There have been bad experiences when well-meaning folks have contacted me on others'  behalf or by phone, and important details have been lost.  I have hosted hikers from all over the world: Brits, French, Germans, Australians and even a couple of Canadians.  Several have stayed with me more than once. One couple stayed for five nights.  If you are starting from Campo this season, you are welcome here.

Good luck to the Class of 2009.  Bob Riess at the Trailhead