[pct-l] Thru-hiking fears

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 11 14:44:30 CST 2009

Shelly, thanks for jumping in and sharing with us. It's great to see how you tackled and overcame your fears. Have fun planning and preparing and have a great hike.

Before my thru-hike in 2006, at the age of 57, I had never backpacked more than 5 days at a time, usually it was just overnight trips. After a couple of years of reading the PCT-L and various hiker's journals, I had two big fears and a few smaller ones.

BIG #1 - Sierra stream crossings
BIG #2 - Sierra mountain passes

Smaller fears -
 cold feet (because of the above)
 navigation in the snow
 mosquitoes

As can be guessed, I wasn't really looking forward to the Sierra. By the grace of God and some great hiking partners none of the above were serious problems. They were learning and sharing experiences as we worked together as a team. Well the mosquitoes required a couple more team members - mosquito mesh clothing and DEET!

The whole hike was a life changing and memorable experience and one that I hope to do again before I get old!

Sugar Daddy