[pct-l] Pronunciation of Talus

Bob BobandShell97 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 12 08:01:14 CST 2009

Kmurray,

Delighted that you went to the trouble of checking.  I got into this because of being startled occasionally that I was pronouncing something one way from having read it, but not having heard it, and years later learning I had it all wrong.
"Talus" is one of them.  For a guy (who used to be) in the academic world, it can be downright embarrassing. :)

I think you may be misreading : \ˈtā-ləs, ˈta-\

I believe that is not indicating different pronunciations between the bone and the rocks, but is rather the standard way of indicating preferred pronunciation vs secondary pronunciation, i.e., Tay-las as the preferred.  If they had meant to differentiate pronunciations between the foot bone (which they earlier labeled #1), and the rocks (which they label #2), they would have spelled it out.

To check further, I looked at http://dictionary.reference.com/, which gives many "Tay-lus" examples, several with the button to push for hearing a spoken recording, and the others with the "Tay-les" pronunciation simply spelled out.

Also, checking www.alphadictionary.com/index.shtml, one finds dozens of dictionaries that cite "Tay-les" as the preferred pronouciation.

I have yet to discover a dictionary which gives a pronunciation other than Tay-les as the #1 preferred pronunciation.  All of which came as a surprise to me, as I had asked numerous hiking friends how they pronounced it, with only one coming up with "tay-les."

The English Language is an evolving, changing organism, witness the increasing mixing-up of "well" and "good", likewise "me" and "I".  Eventually, Tah-lus may replace Tay-les, but for now...???   A rose by any other name smells just as sweet or, put another way, climbing over tay-les or tah-les can be just as difficult.  :)

Dr Bob