[pct-l] Shelters

Jim Eagleton eagleton at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 14 13:11:12 CST 2009

Did he tell you that Rambler is the cutest guy on the trail?  I'm not so ugly that I'm deliberately misleading you, but I have to admit that I may be biased because I'm more familiar with me and have a vested interest in selling you on me.  You may want to stick with your hubby, but can do better than the Hubba.

Now to tarptents:
I used the new Refuge tent from Six Moon Design.  This tent uses two trekking poles to hold it up.  It is rectangular with the sloping roof coming down to the head and foot.
Cons:
1)  It is not good in the wind.  It has large flat sides that catch the wind.  You may have the wall flapping on your bag up to (or down to) your waist.
2)  The air vent at the peak cannot be closed and have minimal overhang, so wind driven rain can be driven in.  This was rare, and the mesh kept most of the rain out, but I think it could have gotten bad.
3)  Requires 2 poles.  Don't break one.  You may need to adjust them;  My normal 120 cm was about right for minimal gap at the bottom.

Pros:
1)  This is a good size two man tent, so it was huge for me.  No touching the walls when getting dressed in the morning.
2)  The size and rectangular footprint often helped for pitching.  Often I would sleep with my head to the left instead of the right or diagonal, etc.
3)  I had good customer service from SMD.  They sent me a new tie that fell out when I dried the tent.
4)  Even though the tent was blown around a lot, it held up well.
5)  I really like the sewn in floor concept.  I guess I'm just a whim about insects, snakes and rodents walking in.
6)  Very light compared to anything needing a pole.
7)  Not free standing... Maybe not perfect, but what is?

Rambler