[pct-l] Frog Toggs?

GARY HEBERT hikerfedex at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 19:28:40 CST 2009

I think frogg toggs were a pretty good choice in their hayday. Very
lightweight and pretty effective against rain, though not very durable. I
have a pair of ULA MIST Overmitts that way <1oz that are essentially the
same material as frogg toggs. They're extremely wind and water resistant and
work great even in winter conditions to warm hands and/or dry damp glove
liners but slowly become tattered from handling abrasive objects and even
trekking poles over time. I've never hiked in frogg toggs and I'm sure some
still swear by them, but I think there are far more durable materials that
breathe much better than Gore-Tex or similar options that were among the few
alternatives when frogg toggs were in their hayday.
I suppose they're fairly lightweight if you are careful wearing them. In
camp might be fine or with a lite pack or short days hiking with a full
pack. But on the trail I'd expect packstraps etc would cause abrasive
effects wearing the material prematurely. Personally I'd go with any number
of breathable water resistant materials for a rain/wind shell in combination
with other layers including a windshirt.

But in fairness I've only worn a top jacket for a short time in lite rain.

FedEx