[pct-l] Sierra Snow up-date

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Thu Jan 15 02:58:31 CST 2009

Unsupported Snow Bunny Reinhold writes: I'm so exited about this, I can't wait until tomorrow.....knowing I'm
getting better every day.? Goody, goody,......soon I will be as good as Switchback.

Switchback replies: Yes, this is a long held goal of many a backpacker and adventurer.? But soon I might take it to another level.? Friday I head to the San Diego area.? One thing I will do is check out the Dixon Roller Pack.? If I get one, then I will sneak down to the PCT and test it out.? I will be the first person in history to use it on the trail.? Neat.? Much less damaging than a horse and good on the snow too with the ski attachment.?

Say, I just thought of something.? Since currently you cannot use a wheeled devices on the trail (except wheel barrels when repairing the trail), I wonder if it is okay to use it on the snow on the trail, since you are technically not ON the trail.? I think I might have found a technicality to use to my advantage and not harm the trail.? Cool.? And I will have instantly reduced my carry load by 50%.? So, if I have 20 pounds of gear, the effect is only 10 pounds to me and so on.? Yes, Snow Bunny is might be right about getting better everyday, but he has a long way to go to catch?Switchback the Trail Pirate.