[pct-l] REI (Komperdell) Compact Carbon Duolock Trekking Poles

GARY HEBERT hikerfedex at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 09:11:03 CST 2009

I'm on my 6th PAIR!
I love them (generally) [WICKED lite and strong.] But I'm finding it harder
and harder to objectively say that.

I have broken two pole sections over 3500 miles (the last in winter
conditions). Don't overreact to that though. They flex a good amount under
stress and don't snap very easily. In both cases, to stop a slip and fall, I
quickly jammed the tip blindly, unfortunately wedging it between rocks, and
continued to force it to overflex sharply & quickly as I regained my balance
- and it kept me from taking a header. My experience with many hikers using
aluminum/titanium poles though is they are no better. A minor bend is
repairable (while my carbons simply flex with no resulting damage). A bad
bend in aluminum/titanium renders that section worthless and so weakened
when straightened it won't protect you when you need it, so it gets
replaced. Leki dealers glady replaced tons of such pole sections for friends
on the AT.

REI Definitely stands behind their 100% satisfaction warranty (6th pair, no
bocking!!)
[But that doesn't help me til i swap them out!!]

My issues:

1.REI does not stock ANY wear item parts (tips or duo cartridge)
I'm more than willing to pay when these wear out - but they cannot get them
for me!
I've tried retail stores and the 800 number. They checked all their
warehouses, the online outlet store and all retail stores. They very
willingly replaced my poles during my AT hike when I wore out the tips
(absurd way to replace an $8 pair of worn tips designed to be replaceable,
but I guess it works. They shipped FedEx overnite, so I met my new poles at
my next stop in town)

[Now at home I have on rare occasion found replacement tips in a retail
store]

2.[Of note, on The AT every dealer carried Leki poles & parts. None carried
REI (Komperdell) poles. They were however very willing to try to repair them
for me. But parts not interchangeable. This could also be an issue on the
PCT. I don't know. Something to think about though!]

Also broke a lower pole section in The Whites and they FedEx
overnitedanother new set. Not something I would expect them to replace
(not
defective, I broke it) but glad they did.
(starting to understand the theme of why my trailname is FedEx???!!)

Since then my issues have been the duolock mechanism. Bluntly the duolock
 doesn't!

In hindsight most of my issues with the duolock have been during last winter
and some this winter. I believe the very cold temps may inhibit the
mechanism from working well. I say this because I just returned my 2nd
broken set of poles (less than 2 months old) which also had duolock failure
in the cold. Oddly I noted once back in the store under warm temps the
duolock seemed to work fine! But not all of my duolock failures were in the
cold temps.

I was able in most cases to adjust the other sections to a shorter length
and lengthen the section not working properly to compensate, making the
overall pole length the same. This seemed to work.  It did NOT work this
last trip in extreme cold, but I broke my other pole anyway! (subconscious
protest, I think!)

I understand that REI (Komperdell) is redesigning the duolock mechanism. I
hope they retrofit for my poles vs. replacing them with an entirely new
type. I will try to swap for the new design if they do.

3.I need my poles to be adjustable. Reliably. I use them for tarps, various
tents, and stow them in my pack for steep ledge climbs or when using my ice
axe. After use for my shelter I need to return them to hiking length. And
repeat, each nite.  Otherwise I'd just buy fixed length poles < 3 oz total!
(a couple options)

Again, I love the grips, the weight (11.5 oz total!) and find them very
strong. No pole is unbreakable. If it is it's way to heavy.

I hope they fix the duolock issue and make replacement parts more available.

Until they do I'll keep using mine. But I'm not sure I'd buy them new right
now. Sure they're wicked cheap now on sale. But if they don't work.....

FedEx