[pct-l] Section A/B to HWY 74 Water Update

Adam Canter anc21 at humboldt.edu
Mon Jan 19 11:13:30 CST 2009

Woohoo,

We finished our 151.3 mile section hike from the Mexican border to HWY 74 in 9 days (1/4/09 to 1/13/09)after some tech. diff. On the first night a rubber washer to our MSR fuel pump broke and we had to get a new one mailed to Mt. Laguna where we lost a day, after getting a late start from Campo.  Birdy and I cooked over a fire for 3 days which wasn't good for the coughs we've had for weeks.

The weather was beautiful, cold at night, some snow up in the Lagunas that was not kind to the feet, but nice green grass.  We didn't see one other hiker on the trail for 9 days.  Here is a general water breakdown

Mile from Border

4.0-Creeklet-water, poor flow but cold and clear
16.0- Hauser Creek-dry
24.6-Cottonwood Creek-dry
26.0-Cottonwood Creek-water, good flow
26.4-Boulder Oaks Camp-water on!
32.4-Fred Canyon-dry
37.0/38.1-Long Canyon-water, great
47.9-Mt. Laguna Campground-spigots on in bathrooms only
52.7-Pioneer Mail Picnic Area-spigot was on! woo
63.5-Upper Chariot Canyon-no water at trail
77.6-Scissors Crossing  Cache Full, San Felipe creek dry
91.2-Third gate after Scissors crossing-Cache Full!
101.4-Barrel Spring-Great Water
105.2 San Ysidro Creek-dry
115.1-Agua Caliente Creek-great water, beautiful
119.5-Lost Valley Spring-good cold water
127.1-Chihuahua VAlley Road-big water cache, invite to Mike H's
136.2-Tule Canyon Creek-water actually flowing at trail!
139.8-Nance Canyon-dry, no water
142.7 Sandy Jeep Road-large water cache full!

Also, we were not treated very kindly at Warner Springs, had to fight for the hiker discount.  In general it seems like folks are confused about people hiking out of "hiker season".  Weird now that hikers must fit the thru-hiker mold.

Also, plans to park in Idyllwild fell thru due to the snow they had and we couldn't park at patroled Fern Valley Camp, so the Forest Service advised us to park at the trailhead on HWY 74.  I was skeptical about this, however, they assured no vandalism had been reported there.  In short, we did this and got very nervous about our vehicle sitting there for 10 days and we did a 27 mile day to get to the van on our last day.  Luckily everything was fine, but we did have a Cal. Highway patrol warning sticker from the previous day saying we were parked there for too long, I guess the limit is 8 days, but folks should check if planning to park there for extended periods and look for other options in possible.

All in all and great winter hike, look for some pics on Trailjournals soon under Birdy/The Muppets.  WE will be hitting the trail at Hwy 74 on May 24, so hopefully we can catch up to some hikers.  We can't wait for our year out on the trail, jah bless,

The Hemlock Muppet