[pct-l] Bear Canister Question

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 20 00:59:55 CST 2009

After reading a bunch of the threads in the archives it sounds like most folks are leaning towards using bear cans rather than relying on stealth.  My question relates then is the intent to send the canister home after the Sierra, say at Echo Lake?  I was considering getting one as my hike will begin through the worst part of trash bear territory.  The only time I ever had bear trouble was near Blaney hot springs and then probably because I was so blown out I hadn't the energy to create much stealth.  I did however stack an alarm with poles and pot which sufficed to save the food bag, but I have never since been too comfortable along popular trails and have always avoided hiking in the problem areas near Mammoth and Yosemite.  Now my hike goes right through it. But do I really need to carry the container farther north through to Lassen, and the rest of N.Cal into OR?  My take on my being a very good counter ballance and food hanging artist is that Ihave probably been fortunate.  So do I give in and resign myself to carry the bulk and weight and sleep well and safe or am I making too much of bear problems outside the serious problem areas I mentioned above.  I read a few positive comments regarding using the can.  Perhaps the one that stands out most for me is the ability to stop and flop just about anywhere, and being wiped out from a long day, not have to worry about being here nor there.  In a sense adding a little weight and bulk adds a little freedom.  I have over ten years expience ranbling around in the Sierra and never used the food storage.