[pct-l] Bear Canister Question

Halfmile halfmile at pctmap.net
Tue Jan 20 17:01:53 CST 2009

Last year the area requiring a bear canister was extended to the
northern border of Yosmite National Park. That is Dorthy Lake Pass
(mile 998.1) which is about 55 miles north of Tuolumne. You can see a
map of the bear canister required areas here:

http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/foodstoragemap.htm

It would be interesting to know more if requirements have changed in
the Tahoe area. This link seems to indicate counterbalancing is
acceptable in Desolation, but perhaps it is not the most up to date
info.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/documents/rogs/rog_wild_deso_regs.pdf

-Halfmile