[pct-l] Bear Cannisters Q

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Tue Jan 20 18:52:53 CST 2009

When I was ranching in Grizzly country by Yewllowstone Park (in the days before bear sprays), I carried a .300 Savage in my saddle boot. MUCH more effective, but much more weight.

Personally, as a hiker on the PCT, I feel it's dead weight I don't need, even in northern WA state. The bears aren't after me, just the food, so I carry a bear canister where required.

That said, I feel it's more psychological than practical. If you feel safer with it than without it, then by all means, carry it (and carry it ON your body, not attached to or worse yet, in your pack).

Wandering Bob