[pct-l] Socks and trekking pole tip replacement

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 20 19:10:44 CST 2009

"What are everyone's thoughts about socks?"

With trail running shoes or other low lightweight shoes/boots the best combination I have found for me is thin nylon dress socks for liner socks,and Starter brand Cool Max ankle socks,  I get mine at Wal-Mart in 3 packs, very cheap. The Starter socks have a nice soft pile when new, I think I got about 2 to 3 weeks out of a pair on the PCT, and then the ball of the foot wore thin. Light weight, cool, and dry fast. It felt a bit funny at first, as I had always worn mid-calf socks, then realized - Why? Just a hold over from high boot days (and high school athletics) I guess.

Had problems trying to replace the tips on my Komperdell poles, they seemed to be glued on or something. Maybe it was just due to the many years of use. Go-Big's dad finally had to use a Dremel tool to cut them off. The slot in a picnic table, or a BBQ grill was tried but the poles came apart at the joints first and the tips remained attached.

Sugar Daddy