[pct-l] Trekking Pole noise ! ! !

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 20 23:49:55 CST 2009

Ever heard of ear plugs ?  It's the latest in the ultra light wilderness experience.
To be quite honest, if I really want a wilderness experience I wouldn't go looking for it on the PCT, and esspecially not the JMT unless in the winter snowshoing, or spring skiing.  And you'll still meet people.  I been over ten years mixing trail and cross country rambles in the Sierra and there is plenty of places I have gone for days and not seen anyone, but when I want to meet folks and not feel so lonely I head back down to the JMT/PCT.  Last time I was imediately asked for my permit by a ranger at the Hilgard branch jct, had three hikers pass, and two horses within about three minutes and this continued the rest of the afternoon and into the evening until I left the main trail, so if you want peace and your own slice of solitude you'll have to go looking for it like everyone else.
Nothing personal but if a few pokes in the mud and a little clacking is bothering you I suggest some bong loads... (sorry)