[pct-l] Pole Noise and other comments

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Wed Jan 21 00:39:00 CST 2009

I think most of the pole noise you are hearing are those that have those annoying anti-shock springs which do nothing but make the poles noiser, heavier and allow manufacturers to charge more for the "value-added" feature that I've never found that I needed (lighter poles help fatique more then anything else).  My opinion having used both types of poles.  The only noise you will get from the regular poles is when they hit rock which is just a matter of pole placement; and except when traveling across a giant granite slab, it isn't something that I normally allow.  Despite regularly using poles, I freqently surprise wildlife while hiking (bears in particular in the Sierras).

I've been using poles since '97.  They are a necessity for saving the knees for those who are desk bound most of the year and don't take the time to properly train their bodies before heading out on a mountainous backpacking trip.  A thru-hiker after several weeks on the trail, probably doesn't need them, but they are still useful.  They help keep your balance and for many people, they are used for supporting lightweight shelters.  They have kept me from taking a spill more then once.  They are very useful for setting up my tarp or bug bivy. They help me work my upper body so I don't lose as much muscle mass on longer trips.  I tend to hike faster when using poles (unless I'm really tired, then they do seem like more work except downhill).

As for REI's UL CF poles, I hate them (yes I own them).  They are comfortable and light, but those Duralocks suck.  As mentioned, when it gets cold, they don't suddenly won't grab.  So you learn to pull the pole sections apart to manually tighten the lock partially so it will grab the sides better when you shove the section back in.  They are always loosing up while hiking.  I don't mean 2 or 3 times during the day, I mean 6 to 10 times.  The lock eventually broke off in the pole due to my continually overtightening them trying to keep them from loosening up.  Black Diamond's external lock mechanism is much better, but their CF poles are too heavy.  Which is why I eventually went with Komperdell's C2 CF poles (2 section instead of 3, 12.1oz/pair wo baskets).  They use a similar external locking mechanism that doesn't ever slip.  The disadvantage is they are a 2 section pole so the minimum length is much longer.  For me, their min length is about the shortest length that I ever use for my poles and the top of the pole to the locking mechanism is the right height for holding the ridgeline of the lower end of my tarp so it works well for me.  Shorter people (<5' 10") might find them too long as they are designed for snow use where they will normally sink some in the snow.

That said, I also own a pair of Titanium Goat's Adj poles that are <6.5oz/pair.  They use a rubber twist locking mechanism that seems to hold pretty well as I've never had one slip yet.  Gossemer Gear has copied this lock on their new UL adj poles.  I don't know if I'd trust them for a true hike, though they have held up for a few hundred miles so far and they are much lighter then anything else out there.  I personally haven't decided on which of the 2 set of poles I'll take on my thru-hike or if I'll swap them at some point.  Having such light poles has allowed me to carry one of the Goat Poles as an extra pole and using it as the 3rd leg of a tripod made out of trek poles since it only adds another 3.2 oz to my pack.  Though that is a luxary most thru-hikers will never carry. Though having a 3rd pole helped me out when that stupid REI CF Pole's lock broke and I was still 2 days away from my car.

-Sean