[pct-l] RR Eco-Mesh pants

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 21 23:37:17 CST 2009

To all,

This summer in Stehekin several thru-hikers recommended that I try RailRiders eco-mesh pants as an alternative to convertible nylon hiking pants. Squach even "raved" about these pants. (it was good to see ya again bro!, thanks for all the advice) For the uninitiated the eco-mesh pant has 27 inch zippers on the legs with CoolMax mesh panels, 2ply nylon @ 9.7oz. I decided that I liked the idea of being able to vent, while retaining some level of bug protection.

This week I ordered a pair and was anxiously awaiting there arrival. Yesterday I received a call from RailRiders customer service informing me that they were completely out of stock of the eco-mesh pant. I was then informed that the '09 version of the pant would be treated with buzz-off bug repellent, cost even more and not be available for several months. I asked the RR customer service rep. if she knew of any dealers who mite have them in-stock. She was unable to help me. I canceled my order.

This evening, with a lot of patience, I was able to track down a pair at tackledirect.com out of New Jersey ($69 + shipping). I checked maybe a doz. sites before I found one that still had these pants in-stock.

So, to anyone still looking, check out tackledirect.

Thanks,
chef