[pct-l] Trail names

Bob Sartini r.sartini at rcn.com
Thu Jan 22 09:16:40 CST 2009

A purist would say a trail name must be bestowed by another thruhiker.
That's how I got mine.  Thus I approve. IMHO many people think up way too
cool names of their own.  If your not careful though you end up being named
Campmor or something else gear based. I really don't like people naming
themselves after popular TV shows and movie characters but that's just me.
If your kids name you Papa Smurf (I know of at least three) you must just
say thank you and live with it. You can tell what year people hiked based on
the movies that year. There's an awful lot of Gandalfs and Skywalkers out
there. We're destined for a few Obama's this year. Also many names based on
flatulence and other bodily functions I think we can do without. Perhaps
Rangers or Ridge Runners can issue tickets for the truly awful names.

One bad name I recall "Snotrocket" , who needs that for 2000 miles?

"EVERYTHING is in walking distance,"
    ......Bamboo Bob