[pct-l] DriClime windshirt alone... warm enough for most of the trail?

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 23 14:38:57 CST 2009

Depends. Do you hike all day and mainly just cook/sleep in camp? Or do you like to take longer breaks and/or chill a bit in camp with fellow
hikers?

If you are in the "hike all day" school,  Driclime (or similar) works well.   If you find you enjoy socializing a bit more and not
just diving into your bag, you may want to bring something warmer.

The Montbell Thermawrap is a favorite at about ~10 oz for a Men's Large.

However, they are indeed expensive.

The dirtbagger in me suggests an Army Field Jacket Liner, ~$10, weighs about the same and is very warm.
http://tinyurl.com/2dfgpk

If you have rudimentary sewing skills (like me!), don't mind using a little bit of elbow grease and have an extra $10,
you can make a Montbell Thermwrap clone for less than $20 with the
above liner jacket. A men's large comes in at 12oz!

Considering a
Montbell Thermawrap is $150 and weights 10oz, the cheap way is nice for
those on a budget on who need something warm,
light and cheap!  Check it out:  http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41034

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com